The Alpha-Tau Zeta of Lambda Chi Alpha emerged from a private dining club known as the Alamo Club which was formed on April 15, 1909. The Alamo Club officially became a chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha on June 2, 1917, and two years later acquired its first house at 604 Grand Avenue. In 1926, the chapter moved into a newly constructed house at 311 Ash Avenue, however, the Depression years hit hard everywhere and by 1934 the chapter became inactive.
In 1947, activities of Lambda Chi Alpha were resumed at Iowa State University due to efforts from interested alumni in Des Moines and transfer students from Simpson College. The three men most credited for their efforts and services in the realization are Howard W. Crist, Seth L. Winslow, and Bill L. Groesbeck. These men are known at the founders and helped us move into our current chapter house at 203 Ash Avenue. Since being reinstated as an official chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha, our house has received the Grand High Alpha Award five times, which is presented for overall chapter excellence.
History of Giving
Our other achievements include initiating over 1,350 members and hosting Gorevile Manor, Iowa State University’s largest Greek philanthropy. Gorevile Manor is a nationally known philanthropy conducted by the men of Lambda Chi Alpha at Iowa State University.
Since 1976, Gorevile has raised over $100,000 for ChildServe of Johnston, Iowa, making Gorevile the largest philanthropy in the Iowa State Greek Community.